The Walther von der Vogelweide hotel has been a popular inn since the 14th century. It once also operated a public bathroom before it was turned into a private home in the mid-1500s. Soon, the house regained importance when the toll collector, one of the most important officials of the city, came to reside in it in the 17th century.
The hotel owes its present name to Georg Kantioler, an energetic innkeeper from Chiusa/Klausen. He acquired the house in 1867 and named it after Minnesinger Walther von der Vogelweide, who, according to a publication of the same year, had been born in nearby Novale/Lajen Ried. The media response following that discovery made Chiusa/Klausen famous throughout the German-speaking world in the blink of an eye. It was now often referred to as being "the cradle of national German literature".
Countless scholars and artists would visit Chiusa/Klausen: it was the time of the so-called Art Colony. Ever since, an image of the Minnesinger, created by the local painter Hans Klausner Rabensteiner, has decorated the house gable of our garden front.
The Rabensteiner family is now running the hotel in its second generation since 1979.